Monday, April 2, 2018

Opening the water pump


It was time to check the condition of the water pump impeller. I think it has never been changed.
This was supposed to be an easy task, just open four 6 mm bolts and slide the case cover off.

Everything went well until I noticed that three of the four bolts broke when opening!
I did not use extensive force, heard some weird sound but thought that it was the coming from the wrench.

Warning:
Be extra careful when opening the bolts especially if that has not been done for a long time!


The impeller was not in a bad condition but after checking it more carefully I discovered that one of the blades had a clear fracture.

I have ordered new spare parts from Engine Marine Part, I think they have the best selection of Selva parts online and you can even ask non-listed parts to be ordered from Selva.

8095060 Water pump impeller 
3570420 OR ring 56.87 
- 8045220 Pump-tube gasket 
3550190 Grommet 18 x 24 x 4
5565010 Impeller pin  (I don't need to change this one)


The water pump parts I'm planning to replace.

Removing water pump case bolts.

The water pump case removed.

Here you can see the the direction the impeller is turning.

Three broken bolts and one that came out without problems.

Possibly the impeller installed in the factory 2005.

There is a fracture in one of the blades, impeller must be replaced.






4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for all the insructions! :) How did you get out the rests of the bolts after you broke them? I did also broke mine even doe i was really careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried everything at home but no luck, took it to a local engine workshop (not outboard repair shop, they declined), they welded bolts or something, cost less than 100 USD/EUR.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. Now you saved me som hours of trying myself. I will also need some help from a workshop. :)

      Delete
  2. Hello, thanks for all instructions and pictures. I'm new owner to a St tropez. Wich looks exactly the same as yours.
    Question, what position did you have your gearbox in when removing the lower unit?
    And putting it back? I can't get all gears to work after my impeller change.

    ReplyDelete