Sunday, October 28, 2018

Solas Amita 3 losing paint

The winter is coming so it was time to take my boat from the water.
After inspecting the motor I noticed that the Solas Amita 3 (11"x17") aluminium propeller has lost some paint from two blades. The areas were in the same section of the blade and of similar size.
The low pressure side of the propeller looked good as new.
I'm wondering what has caused this, last season I used Solas Amita 3 11"x16" and it survived the whole season without any paint issues.

I have raised the engine three holes so the propeller operates closer to the water surface, sometimes the motor sucks air and hits higher RPMs and then suddenly the grip returns.
So I guess the ventilation can be the root cause, I suppose cavitation should cause problems on the other side of the propeller or at least closer to the tip of the blade.

Paint (or coating) is missing from two
blades on the high pressure side.

Everything looks good on the low pressure side.



1 comment:

  1. I once bought an 11x16 solas from Espoo. The seller had an Swing and Selva, I guess it was you?

    The prop works fine on my Swing with 40 Yamaha, but stainless 10x16 has less grip issues. Could try with 11x17 could be a good option.

    ReplyDelete