Monday, August 27, 2018

Selva Madeira power trim problem

I was at sea and suddenly noticed that Selva Madeira 40 power trim was going up but not down.
I tried also the tilt switch on the motor but it didn't work either. I was able to get to the harbor slowly but surely.

When I pressed the down switch there was a clicking noise coming from the relay but the trim motor was not spinning at all. I did some study on Youtube, once again thanks to Dangar Marine, there is a nice video about outboard trim-tilt relays.

You can see Selva Madeira trim-tilt relays in this diagram (number 55). The Selva part number is 8515070 and the relay is manufactured by Hella and the product code is  4RD 931 680-01.



I opened the engine cover and checked the relays visually, nothing special spotted my attention.
The plan was to take relays off and switch them in order to see if one of them was faulty.
I used a small flat screwdriver to detach the relays and put them back in different positions.
For my surprise the trim started to work fully, I was able to trim it up and down.
I removed the relays again and tried to clean the connectors but they were in quite good condition. I sprayed some WD-40 to the relay base also.

Hard to say what was the root problem, maybe some conductivity problem.
This was a cheap fix! 😁

Selva trim-tilt relay part #8515070 (5-way relay 40A)

Trim-tilt relays connectors

Relay base





3 comments:

  1. I have had the same problem with my selva a couple of times. I just lift the battery connectors, and then it works again. So far...😊 I will come back to you if it's happens again. Maybe with a solution...😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not nice but good to know that you are also having trim problems, at least these are easy to fix so far! ;)

      Delete
  2. I had the same problem a few years ago. In my case it's a connection problem with one of the cables at the relay. I removed the cable and used pliers to tighten the clamp a bit. Unfortunately I do

    ReplyDelete