Thursday, March 29, 2018

Stuck thrust washer

It has been a long and dark winter but now spring is arriving slowly but surely.

I want to install a very different kind of propeller so I need to remove the stock thrust washer.
Unfortunately it's so stuck that I failed to remove it when the boat was still is in the water.

Today I tried to remove it again by hand but no luck. I sprayed lots of CRC Penetrating Oil and let it do its job for 15 minutes, then I applied it even more and waited some time.

After that I used a large flat head screwdriver and carefully tried to move it. It's very easy to damage the paint on lower unit. I tried from different positions and finally it moved.
It could be that this was the first time the thrust washer was removed since the outboard came from the factory!







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog and pics! I'm also about to service the lower gear case on my Madeira 50 hp from 2004.Will replace the impeller an prop shaft seals so thanks for the instruction on how to separate the shift shaft!Looking on your picture when your prop is out it seems that you also should think of replacing the prop shaft seals. Have you pressure tested the lower gear case or did you see any water in the gear case oil when you drained it? Kind regards, Anders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the prop shaft seal has seen better days, I did not see any water and the color of the oil was good so I'm hoping it will last one more season ;)

    ReplyDelete