Sunday, July 23, 2017

Removing the lower unit

In order to check or replace the water impeller one needs to remove the lower unit of the outboard. It was very difficult to find instructions how to do this. I found a message thread on Gommonauti.it which described how to remove the lower unit of Selva Naxos 15. Fortunately Selva uses similar construction on bigger engines also. The method I describe here most probably applies also to Madeira 40 and 50 and maybe also to St. Tropez.

First I removed the propeller and the engine cover and placed a load strap loosely to support lower unit from falling down. I don't think this is necessary but load strap is useful when you are putting lower unit back. Then I drained the gear oil by opening three screws, I'm not sure if this
is needed but I needed to change the gear oil anyway. Then I opened one nut and three bolts and turned gear to reverse. After a couple hits with rubber hammer the lower unit dropped two centimeters. Now a bolt connecting upper and lower shift rod is visible and can be opened, after that the lower unit can be removed.








No comments:

Post a Comment