Thursday, July 4, 2019

Installing Atlas Micro Jacker hydraulic plate

I have mounted my Selva Madeira 40 to the uppermost mounting holes but still I think it could be mounted higher.

Sometimes when the weather is bad it would be nice to run the motor lower so that the propeller does not ventilate in the waves. When the weather is good and the water is calm it would be nice to raise the propeller close to the surface, especially when using a (semi)cleaver. After some googling I found Atlas Micro Jacker hydraulic plate which is supposed to be the lightest plate on the market weighting only 23 pounds (10.4 kg).

 I decided to order the Micro Jacker from the U.S. as I was not able to find it in any European online store. My plan is to run semicleaver or cleaver propeller so it's important to be able to raise the outboard higher than the mounting holes allow. The standard package contains the hydraulic plate, two relays and a simple switch to adjust the position. The relays must be installed in a dry location. I also bought a mounting bolt set. My Selva Madeira weights 216 pounds (98 kg) so I obtained a hydraulic engine crane, that was a good idea and the installation was easy.
I also filled the upper water intake grills with epoxy so that the water pump does suck air when the outboard is raised.

The hydraulic engine crane made the installation very smooth and easy.

Selva Madeira 40 and Atlas Micro Jacker hydraulic plate.


The upper water intake was filled with epoxy,

Hydraulic plate raised to the uppermost position.

The mounting bolts were purchased from T-H Marine

The relays must be installed in a dry location.

The switch that is used to control Atlas Micro Jacker position.

I have added some fluorescent tape to indicate the hydraulic plate position.

1 comment: